Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ranking my MLB stadiums

The other day, I got into a bit of a debate on Twitter about the ranking of various Major League baseball stadiums. Then, on the T3 Sports podcast, my co-host and I ranked the top three ballparks we've been to. That prompted me to put together this list.

As a big baseball fan, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I've only been to nine current MLB parks (the Metrodome makes 10...R.I.P.). There are plenty I'd love to see in my lifetime, and a few others I could probably do without.

With that said, I felt like ranking the nine that I have seen, just for the sake of some fun discussion. Keep in mind, this is only a ranking of the parks I've been to; I can't speak for the other 21 stadiums. If you agree or disagree with my rankings, let me know in the comments. Or feel free to give the rankings of the parks you've visited.


1. AT&T Park (San Francisco)
I mean...look at that view! Now, fairness in ranking, I have not actually seen a game at AT&T Park, but I did take a tour when I was in the area (I went to see games in Oakland on that trip, and the Giants were unfortunately out of town). But from everything I saw, it's an absolute gem of a park.

Of course, the views of the bay are what initially make AT&T Park such a great one. But it has character beyond that.? I love the brick wall in right field that counts the splash hits that have landed in McCovey Cove. There's plenty of history honored both inside and outside the park, with many Giants greats represented in one way or another. Given the success of the franchise (three World Series titles in recent years), I can only imagine the atmosphere at the park for games is electric.

The only knock I have on AT&T Park is that it's not exactly in close proximity to many restaurants or bars. But everything about the park itself is beautiful. I hope to get back there some day in the not-too-distant future


2. Target Field (Minneapolis)
Perhaps I'm a bit biased in that I've seen far more games at Target Field than any other ballpark, but I also have maybe taken Target Field for granted a bit after covering the Twins for the last 4.5 years.

Simply put, the Twins did things right with this ballpark. Many people were skeptical about how a stadium was going to fit into what was at the time a very small footprint in downtown Minneapolis, but it worked out marvelously. The amount of detail that went into making Target Field one of the best parks in baseball does not go unnoticed. Like AT&T Park, the Twins pay homage to players of the past, with a collection of bronze statues, an array of baseball card images on the back side of the stadium, and other pictures and paintings of Twins greats all throughout the park.

The food options are solid and include new offerings every year, and there's a good selection of craft (and local) beers, if you're into that. And for my money, the view from the third base side of the stadium looking toward the downtown Minneapolis skyline is about as good as it gets. It might not be the bay view in San Francisco, but it's a pretty nice consolation prize.


3. Coors Field (Denver)
Like AT&T Park, I have not seen a game at Coors Field, only a stadium tour. I was torn on my No. 3 ranking between Coors Field and Petco Park but give Coors Field a slight edge. The mountain views are pretty incredible. I also like the row of purple seats that indicate one mile above sea level.

Though the product on the field hasn't been particularly great as of late, the park has some nice features and is in a great area. LoDo (Lower Downtown) has a ton of fun bars and restaurants that are all within a stone's throw of Coors Field. The stadium has revitalized that part of Denver, and it's a fun atmosphere on game nights.


4. Petco Park (San Diego)
I saw two games here back in 2008. While there's not a whole lot of individual things that stood out to me about Petco Park, the overall vibe of the stadium was an enjoyable one. I particularly like the iconic Western Metal Supply Co. building that makes up the foul pole in left field and adds character to the park. There's also a sandbox just behind the fence in the outfield, which is a neat feature for kids.

Petco has good food options, including multiple fish taco locations (it is San Diego, after all). The beer list at Petco is quite impressive, although it is pricey. And similar to Coors Field, the area around the park -- the Gaslamp Quarter -- is quite enjoyable. You can find plenty of bar, restaurant and shopping options just a few blocks from the stadium. And you can even book a hotel with ballpark views (the picture above was from the rooftop bar of the hotel I stayed at, the name of which is escaping me...).


5. Wrigley Field (Chicago)
Sure, Wrigley Field is kind of a dump. It's old, and lacks many modern amenities that other ballparks in the majors boast. But there's a history at Wrigley Field that the newer parks simply can't replicate.

I've been to Wrigley a few times and always enjoyed myself. I've never sat with the "Bleacher Bums" in the outfield but have heard plenty of stories about that wild bunch. The food options at Wrigley aren't great, nor were the beer selections when I was there several years back. But it's tough to beat a day game at one of the most well-known stadiums in all of baseball.

Wrigleyville has plenty of options for before or after the game, too, especially when it comes to bars. And I always found it was pretty easy to get to the park via the train -- much more convenient than the other stadium on the south side of town, which we'll get to in a bit.


6. Busch Stadium (St. Louis)
Maybe my view of Busch Stadium is skewed slightly by the fact that I sat through 100 degree temperatures for a day game in the metal bleachers, but I'd rank it in the middle of the parks I've been to. The view of the famous Arch from behind home plate is nice, and I do like the look of the park from the outside, too (lots of brick).

St. Louis has a reputation as a great baseball town, and I certainly felt welcomed by the Cardinals fans I encountered during my time there. They're no doubt passionate about their team, and why shouldn't they be? The Cardinals are one of the model franchises in all of baseball. As for the rest of the stadium, I was left wanting a little more. I didn't dislike it, I just wasn't as wowed as I thought I would be.


7. U.S. Cellular Field (Chicago)
It's been over a decade since I was there, and they've made some renovations to the park since then (as you can tell by the picture; the seats are now green, not blue). There was simply nothing exciting about U.S. Cellular Field, which opened one year before beautiful Camden Yards in Baltimore. The White Sox just missed the boat on the retro-themed ballparks and were left with a rather bland U.S. Cellular Field.

Not making matters any better is the location of the park, which isn't exactly in the best part of town. It's a lengthy train ride to get there, and I was told you don't want to linger in that area for long after games. Perhaps the overall experience is better after the renovations. I'll have to check it out and see for myself, I suppose.


8. Miller Park (Milwaukee)
This stadium -- and one website's ranking of it as the No. 4 park in all of baseball -- is what got me started on this whole thing in the first place. I've been vocal in the past about my feelings about Miller Park, but to reiterate, here's my analogy: a game at Miller Park with the roof and windows "open" is akin to a car with the sunroof open. Games at true outdoor stadiums such as, say, Target Field, are like being in a convertible with the top down.

Miller Park is a monstrosity. There's no other way to put it. It's big. I've been to games when the roof is both open and closed, although it sounds like they close the roof far more often than they should. Other parks (namely Safeco Field in Seattle) seem to do the retractable roof the right way. Miller Park did not.

The one thing I will say Miller Park has that's a bonus is a great tailgating lot. You can smell the brats on the grill from a mile away, and there's plenty of room to spread out and toss around a football (or a baseball). But Miller Park isn't walking distance to anything; you have to drive there, which is too bad because I actually like downtown Milwaukee.


9. O.co Coliseum (Oakland)
In a lot of ways, O.co Coliseum (it had a different name when I visited) reminds me of the Metrodome, minus all the nostalgia (and minus a teflon roof). The concourse was drab, dark and depressing. The food choices left quite a bit to be desired. And the entrance from the train stop to the park itself were far from inviting, lined with chain-link fencing.

Once you're in your seat at O.co Coliseum, things are tolerable. It's at least outdoors, which is always nice. But the upper level closed off with a tarp is just odd. And there's way more foul territory than should be allowed at a baseball stadium, which is one of the unfortunate byproducts of playing baseball in a football stadium. And I didn't even mention the sewage issue, which has led to the occasional flooded dugout. Gross...

Agree with the rankings? Want to share your own? Feel free to comment below. Also, be sure to listen to the latest T3 Sports podcast, where we discuss the rankings of our top three stadiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment