Monday, July 13, 2015

ASG memories, one year later


Oh how things can change in the course of a year.

One year ago, I was covering the All-Star Game festivities at Target Field in what was arguably the highlight of my professional career. Now, I'm watching from the sideline as the All-Star weekend is unfolding in Cincinnati.

From the time I first found out that Target Field and Minneapolis would play host to the 2014 All-Star Game, I had those several days circled on my calendar. I had hoped I would be with FOX Sports North at that point, and I was fortunate enough to not only cover the All-Star Game itself, but the Futures Game and Home Run Derby, among other events.

Nelly
I expected those several days to be memorable, but the entire experience was even better than I could have imagined. There were way more events away from the field than I realized. That included the All-Star FanFest, which I stopped by a few times to take it all in. Among the noteworthy things at the FanFest were the Hall of Fame display with items from Cooperstown, plenty of memorabilia, and other historic displays. And the players had a parade that took them through downtown Minneapolis and finished at Target Field. I caught a bit of that before heading to the park.

There were also concerts -- and plenty of them. From Atmosphere and Imagine Dragons at TCF Bank Stadium, to B.o.B. and Nelly at a private show at a nightclub downtown Minneapolis, to Aloe Blacc performing a free show near the Stone Arch Bridge after the rain-delayed Home Run Derby, it was a pretty surreal three-day span of music, even if my ears were ringing for the entire day after the Nelly show. A word of advice that I learned the hard way: don't stand next to the speakers for the entire show.

Most fans might not be keyed into the Futures Game, which took place on Monday, but that was a neat chance to see some of baseball's young and rising stars. That game saw players like Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant and Texas' Joey Gallo, along with a few Twins prospects (a pair of Puerto Rico natives: pitcher Jose Berrios and first baseman DH Kennys Vargas, who has since debuted with Minnesota). Bryant and Gallo put on a show during batting practice; Gallo even cracked the windshield of a pickup truck in right-center field during BP. Berrios started the game and pitched a scoreless first inning, while Vargas was 1-for-4 with a double for the World team.

Pregame flyover
The Home Run Derby was a bit delayed by rain, but the skies eventually opened up and displayed a beautiful rainbow that can be seen in some great images (I unfortunately wasn't in a great position to snap one). If you think the Home Run Derby is long on TV, it feels even longer in person. I can't say that was my favorite event, although it was pretty crazy to see Giancarlo Stanton hitting balls 500+ feet, nearly hitting them out of the stadium in left field. As is often times the case with the Derby, his night is remembered more than the guy who won (Yoenis Cespedes).

Perhaps the best part of having the privilege to cover an All-Star Game was to be surrounded by the best baseball players in the world. Mike Trout. Andrew McCutchen. Clayton Kershaw. Giancarlo Stanton. And, of course, Derek Jeter, who was participating in his 14th and final All-Star Game of his illustrious career. The Jeter storyline was the main angle played up by national media, and it was
Derek Jeter's farewell, as seen from my seat in one
of the two auxiliary press boxes.
certainly neat to see the recognition he received -- he was taken out of the game mid-inning to a standing ovation from the crowd at Target Field. 

But there was a pretty great local angle for Twins fans during that game, too.

Twins closer Glen Perkins was named to the 2014 All-Star team, his second All-Star Game in a row. (He'll be in Cincinnati this week, too, for his third straight midsummer classic.) Joining Perkins -- a Minnesota native pitching in his home state -- was his catcher, Kurt Suzuki, who made the first All-Star Game of his career. The game set up perfectly for the Minnesota's battery mates. The American League led 5-3 heading to the ninth inning, and Boston manager John Farrell (skipper of the AL roster) called upon Perkins for the save. Suzuki also came out for the ninth inning, and nine pitches later Perkins locked down the save -- and I had my story angle.

After that save, all the craziness of the game slowly died down. The clubhouse was a zoo after the game, of course, including at Jeter's press conference. The local media talked to Perkins and Suzuki, who otherwise escaped much national attention despite being the two hometown heroes.

That ninth inning capped what had been the best three days of my professional career. I had covered numerous games at Target Field before that, but nothing compared to those few days. I may never cover another All-Star Game, although I certainly hope to one day. If not, those three days in mid-July of 2014 will continue to serve as three of the best days of my time as a sports writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment